SEE is passionate about helping low-income and uninsured individuals throughout Santa Barbara and Ventura County gain access to eye care. We serve a diverse population and are committed to providing quality vision care to those in-need. We are looking for a volunteer optometrist to perform eye tests and provide excellent eye care to our patients. Optometrist responsibilities include analyzing vision tests, identifying sight problems, and prescribing eyeglasses. To be successful in this role, you should have attention to detail and be able to treat all kinds of patients with kindness and discretion, from young children to the elderly.
• Conduct eye exams using optometric equipment and general diagnostic interpretation.
• Based on exam, diagnose conditions of the eye such as myopia, astigmatism, and presbyopia etc. and prescribe eyeglasses if medically necessary.
• Recommend appropriate patient follow-up and care options.
• Answer questions and provide advice to patients regarding vision and optical issues.
• Deliver outstanding customer service through all patient interactions.
• Direct staff and assist in the development of the overall clinic.
Work Hours and Location:
The location of the position is in Goleta, CA. The position is available for flexible scheduling every Monday 9-5, Tuesday 9-5, or every other Friday 1-5 pm. A discussion of hours can be negotiated. Located at 5638 Hollister Avenue Suite 120 Goleta, CA 93117
• Applied understanding of general principles of optometry and best practices for the diagnosis and treatment of eye-related disorders and conditions.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to relate to patients of diverse backgrounds.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Conversational Spanish preferred not required.
• Ability to maintain patient confidentiality.
• General computer proficiency.
• Demonstrated problem solving skills and multitasking ability.
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Doctor of Optometry (OD) degree from an accredited optometry program
• Active CA state optometry license
• Experience in working with an Electronic Health Record System (EHR)
• Valid CPR certificate
• Two-plus years of optometrist experience preferred.